Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) required for travel to Canada

Attention Permanent Residents: Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) required for travel to Canada
The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) issued new guidance for U.S. legal permanent residents traveling to Canada by air. Visa-exempt foreign national who fly to or travel through Canada will be required to obtain an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) which went into effect on March 15, 2016, including U.S. legal permanent residents. There is a transitional period from March 15, 2016 until September 29, 2016 where Canadian border services officers are allowing travelers flying into Canada enter the country without an eTA, as long as the traveler meets other requirements to enter Canada. Those traveling to Canada by land or sea are not required to have an eTA, but should always carry valid travel documents and identification.
Applying for an eTA is a quick and inexpensive process. eTA applicants must have a valid passport, credit card, an email address, and pay a $7CAD fee. Once approved, the eTA is electronically linked to the applicant’s passport and is valid for up to 5 years. Applicants may apply for their eTA at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/eta-start.asp.
More information about the eTA can be found at the Citizenship and Immigration Canada website at: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/eta/#a1.