How to Extend your Driver’s License while your Extension Petition is Pending

Even though individuals with pending temporary work visa extensions pending are authorized to live and work in the US, the California Department of Motor Vehicles will not issue a renewed license until the USCIS issues an approval of the pending nonimmigrant visa petition.  The result is that individuals either have to stop driving until their petition is approved or they are compelled to pay the additional $1225 expedite fee in order to obtain an earlier decision.
Thanks to the work of the American Immigration Lawyer’s Association (AILA) DMV task force, the DMV now allows individuals in this situation to apply for an “AB60 Driver’s Privilege Card” – a driver license originally designed for those with no immigration status.  To apply for the AB60 license, the applicant’s I-94 must have already expired and the applicant must return to the DMV to apply for a full privilege driver’s license once the pending petition has been approved.  See this link for details.